Choosing when and whether to get divorced can have future implications for you.

We can help you through the process and ensure you understand what divorce means for you.

It is important to know that divorce does not finalise or take care of property or parenting matters between you and your former spouse. 



If you have separated or are even thinking about separating from your spouse, we can advise you about the division of property and assets or the parenting arrangements for children. You do not need to be contemplating divorce. It can be valuable to have all the information before making important decisions about the future for you and your family.

Contact us to speak to make an appointment to speak an experienced lawyer about your rights after separation. 


‘irretrievable breakdown of the marriage’

You or your spouse don’t have to have done anything wrong for the Court to grant a divorce.

The only grounds for divorce in Australia is the ‘irretrievable breakdown of the marriage’ with the Court looking for evidence that the parties have been separated for a period of 12 months or more. In some circumstances, it may be possible to be separated from your spouse and still be living under the one roof. 

There are strict rules about the service of documents applying for a divorce. While it can be upsetting or confronting being served with legal documents, it is important to give them proper consideration about what they mean for you and your future, including the time you have available to contest the proposed division of any property.

We can assist and advise you about all aspect of divorce, including the drafting, filing and service of documents.


Going to court

There may be no need for you to attend court for the divorce hearing if you and your spouse agree to divorce and there are no children under the age of 18 years.  

Our experienced lawyers can attend Court for your divorce hearing on your behalf or with you, if required. We can be with you throughout the process.


Contact us to speak to an experienced family lawyer about your individual circumstances.